3/26/13

Grow your own Easter grass

Easter is this Sunday.  Since my kids are still very young, we aren't focusing much on the true meaning of the holiday.  We're not really getting into the whole Easter Bunny thing either.  Next year for sure.  But for now, we're focusing on growth and spring.  

I love making Easter baskets but I hate the fake grass that you find throughout the house until the next Easter.  So, I was super excited to find an article about growing your own Easter grass from How Does She.  It looked simple to do and not a big deal if it didn't work out.  Plus, I thought it would be neat for Dominic to see how grass grows from a seed.

I gathered my supplies: small plastic containers, potting soil, and grass seed.  Then, just fill the containers will the dirt, add a dense sprinkling of seeds, and water on a regular basis, keeping the soil moist.  

I was surprised to see the seeds sprout so quickly.  I think I was more excited than Dominic!  It was amazing to see how quickly the grass grew.  I mean, I could tell a difference from morning to afternoon!



Within a week-and-a-half, we had full-blown grass!  It makes a great decoration on the table, adds much needed life to the house, and helps to filter the air.  I may try to leave it out all year!  I just have to master pruning it.  And, um, watering it regularly.



We had Ellie's baptism a couple of weekends ago.  Everyone loved the grass and had to run their hands through it.  My grandma asked to take home some grass seed.  (I felt like a dealer!).  And one of the kids begged to take some home with her.  I would have given it to her if it didn't have a job to do soon!

Have you ever grown your own indoor grass?  Ever peddled grass seed to family members?!

Have a happy and blessed Easter.  
  
Montrose & Mound. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

© Montrose & Mound, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena