2/6/12

10 Fun Places to Take your Toddler

Winter hasn’t hit Ohio yet and I'm kinda sad about it.  Don’t get me wrong; I have been loving the chance to go outside to play.  Dominic and our dogs have loved it too.  And, it’s been so nice to have blue skies and sun instead of gray.  It definitely puts me in a better mood!  But… (and it’s a tiny but) I kinda miss the snow.  I know, I am probably the only person to say that.  I was looking forward to taking Dominic sledding this year and playing in the snow.  I’m glad I found a good deal on his snow boots since he won't be wearing them much!  

To get back to my point, this nice weather has me itching to get out and do fun things with Dominic.  Even though it’s pretty outside, it’s still too cold to be out for a long time.  So I decided to find fun (free or cheap) things in the area to do.  I can’t wait to try them out!

1.  The Works
 
There is so much to do here.  Kids of all ages will have fun even though it is geared to preschool age and older.  Options include art galleries, a wood and print shop, a glassblowing studio, and a science theater.  I love their motto: “TOUCH the experiments.”  Don’t you?!  I also love that in addition to participating in experiments and other learning fun, their website has fun activities to do at home.  Who can resist making Elephant Toothpaste or slime?  Not me! 

Hours of operation: Tuesday-Saturday 9:00 – 5:00 and Sundays (Jan-March) 12:00 – 5:00.  I love the admission fees: children under 2 are free (score!), ages 2-17 are $3.00, adults are $7.00 and seniors are $5.00.


AHA! stands for A Hands-On Adventure.  According to them, “AHA! Is a 4000 square foot adventure space featuring more than 25 exhibits and activities for children ages 0-7 (and older). Children can learn as they engage in their most important “work” of play.”  My favorite thing about AHA! is that they encourage learning through play.  Isn’t that great?!  Kids can play with sand, bead, face painting, LEGO, and water tables, climbing areas, pretend stores, and more.

Hours of Operation: Monday - Saturday 10am to 4pm and Sunday 12pm to 4pm.  The admission fee is $5.00 per person.

3.  Play Cafes

I haven't been here, but Dominic went with his class.  He loved it!  Basically, the cafe is a place where adults can go, grab some coffee, talk with other adults, and watch their kids play in a safe environment.  The open play areas allow young children to interact with each other in both active and pretend play.   

Hours of operation: Mon-Wed: 9:30 am - 5:30 pm, Th-Fri: 9:30 am - 5:30 pm, and Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.  Admission:12-23 months - $3; 24 months and up - $5; Adults are free; Children under 12 months are free.



Opening Spring 2012!  This is very similar to Firefly Play Cafe.  I don't have many details yet because they are still getting everything together but I can't wait to try it out.  I'll let you know how it is when they open.

4. Hocking Valley Scenic Railway


I don't know about you, but my boy is quickly becoming obsessed with cars, trucks and trains (can you say Choo Choo?).  What's better than looking at these?  Riding in them, of course!  I remember taking rides here when I was a kid, both in the summer and to see Santa.  The railway doesn't open regularly until April, but they do have special holiday events including the Easter Bunny Train, Ohio's Friendliest Train Robbery, Fireworks Train, Caboose Train, and Santa Trains.

Be sure to check the website for the latest departure times are fares as they change according the to season. 

5. Story Time at the Library

Story time combines two things I love: reading and free.  Dominic and I have just started going to story time and we both like it.  We have several different libraries close to our house, so we are going to check out another one tomorrow.  We've been going to the 0-18 months group.  While I thought most of the kids would be little babies, they were all actually right around his age.  The staffer is usually great and energetically interacts with the kids, playing music, singing, dancing, and of course, reading stories.  Afterwards, we all went to the children's literature section and played with the toys. 

Check your local library for class times.  Many offer story time multiple times per week and for various age groups.   

6. World of Bounce


I have to admit, this isn't a place that I would go to regularly.  But, we went when Dominic was about 7-8 months old.  Even though he was young, he absolutely loved it.  There are blow up slides and bouncy rooms.  The kids we were with just couldn't get enough jumping and sliding.  There are two separate blow up rooms so that birthday parties and walk ins both have dedicated spaces to play without being crowded.  There is a "lunch room" connecting these areas.  You are encouraged to bring your own food and this is a great area to re-energize.  They even have high chairs for the younger set.  Note - everyone (including you) must wear socks, so don't forget to bring a pair.  If you do forget, you will have to purchase socks from them.  You are also required to sign a waiver.

Hours of operation: Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 10:00am - 1:00pm.  Saturday 9:30 am - 1:30 pm.  Admission is $7.00 per child and siblings are $4.00 each.  

7. The Columbus Museum of Art

The museum has been recently renovated and has a wonderful space for children.  Most of the activities are for kids 3 and up, but hands-on toddlers will most likely enjoy some of the activities.  Families can build forts, create sculptures, puppets, machines, and anything else you can imagine.  There is also a computer lab with 30 Apple computers so everyone in the family can create computer magic.  Finally, rotating galleries round out the space.

Hours of operation: Monday - closed, Tuesday - Sunday - 10:00 am - 5:30pm, Thursday - 10:00am - 8:30pm.  Admission is free on Sundays, free for children 5 and younger, $5.00 for 6-17, $10 for adults, and $8.00 for seniors and students over 18 (with school ID).  Parking is also free.  

8. North Market
 
The North Market is a fun place for all ages.  If you decide to take your kids here, be sure to keep them close to you as it can become quite busy.  I recommend going on a weekday so that you have room to roam.  35 small businesses call the old warehouse home.  While kids can't run free, there is so much to see, lots of new foods to try, yummy candy and popcorn to snack on, and other household items like candles and flowers to explore.  When you go, try for a scavenger hunt with your kids.  See how many red (etc.) things you can find.  Or, make a game out of the senses: smell the food cooking, see the pretty displays, taste samples, hear the people talking, and touch the fruit as you buy it.

Hours of operation: some Mondays: 9:00 - 5:00, Tuesday-Friday: 9:00-7:00, Saturday: 8:00-5:00, and Sunday: noon - 5:00.  Parking is $0.25 per 1/4 hour with validated parking ticket.  Word of caution - be sure to buy something and have the vendor validate your ticket.

9. Columbus Zoo & Aquarium


 Dominic on the slide in the play area.



I love the zoo!  I have fond memories of taking field trips to the zoo.  I don't remember actually seeing the animals, but I do remember the excitement about packing my lunch so that it was safe for the animals: no straws, no glass, etc.  

We went to the zoo a few months ago and had a great time.  It may seem a little cold to go right now, but there are lots of buildings where you can spend the majority of your time.  Dominic loved looking at the bears (good thing we read Brown Bear, Brown Bear 20 times a day!).  He also liked the polar bears, especially since one was jumping in the water and pounding on the glass with his massive paw.  The zoo also has a mini train (for a small fee), petting zoo, and a play area for kids.  We spent a lot of time in each of these.  It's easy to spend the entire day here.   

Hours of operation - check the website as hours change per season.  Admission - under 2: free, 2-9: $9.00, 10-59: $14.00, 60+: $10.00.  Parking is $5.00 per car.   

10. Fountains


There are so many different fountains in Columbus, from Capital University to Easton Town Center to Columbus Commons.  These fountains are free and range in their offerings.  I like Capital's fountains because they are simple and not crowded.  Dominic loved going there this past summer.  We would pick him up from the babysitter's and walk over or ride our bikes over in the evenings, play in the water, and then go home.  It was perfect!  I like these because there isn't too much water and it's easy to allow Dominic to do his own thing without me holding him like I do at the pool.  Of course, this is a summer activity.

Like I said, my goal is to give some of these a try in the next few months.  My goal is to have more purposeful activities with Dominic.  Have you tried any of these places or do you have a place you'd like to share with me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a friendly comment or question...

Montrose & Mound. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

© Montrose & Mound, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena