3/24/12

Living Room Reveal

Ok people, it's finally here!  Spring!!  I'm sure you thought I would say something else instead... something like, the living room reveal is here.  You, my friend, would be right!

It's finally time.  It only took me how long to get these pictures?  And guess, what?  The room still isn't done!  Nope!  But that's the way I like it... always something to work on, to improve.  It gives me great satisfaction transforming our home.  I have no desire to have that feeling of, "I'm done, everything is perfect."  It's in my genes.  My mom and grandma are the same exact way.  There's no fun in setting something and forgetting about it.  In a way, it's our way of keeping things fresh because changing little (or big) things in our homes also gives us a fresh perspective that I try to carry into other aspects of my life. 

I certainly got off topic there so it's back to the living room reveal.  So without further ado (imagine me waving a top hat), here is my latest and greatest living room!

To get us started, here are some befores.  We didn't do too much when we first moved in.  We did sand and refinish all of the floors.  We also painted the walls.  But that was it.  For awhile... you know I can't leave a room alone.  That would be like me avoiding the Reese eggs at the grocery store.  Not. gonna. happen! 


Here is after we moved in.  New wall color, some furniture, and some valances.  No art work actually hung on the walls... 


Then, when I was about 4 or 5 months pregnant with Dominic, I couldn't stand the bland anymore.  That should be my theme song... "she couldn't stand the bland so she picked up a colorful paint can. La la LA la la."


It looks very open in the picture above, but it didn't feel that way. 
Next change: we kept the wall color but moved the couch opposite of where it was in the above picture.

 
Ignore the tiny rug.  The colors were right but the size was oh so wrong.

Still with me?  Hang on; we're almost there!  

Here's the view looking directly at the couch towards the stairs.  We had the living room set up like this for the longest amount of time.  Proof: we painted when I was pregnant with Dominic, here he is as a newborn with my mom, and we just repainted a month or so ago.  I think that might be a record length of time for me!

 

Here we go... our new living room... (and a peek at the dining room).  As you can see, the woodwork on the living room side is not complete. 

 

The all-important toy storage.  The lamp was a gift from Brett's parents.  The mirror was a thrift store find.  The mercury owl, baskets, and clock are from Target.  The books are mainly gifts from Brett.


I think I got this lampshade from Target as well.  I rigged it so that it sits on the old light fixture.  I've found a few new fixtures that I like, but I didn't want to spend the money.  I also like the graphic punch this one adds to the space.  You can also see a hint of our red front door.  Painting it red was one of the best decisions I've made.  Decorating-wise, anyway :) 


A view from the front door into the "entryway" I created.  One of the things I hated about having the couch on the far wall was that the TV was right where the buffet is now.  Anyone walking upstairs, to the dining room, or into the kitchen would have to walk in front of it or through a conversation.  Now, since I've created an entryway with all of the seating concentrated on the other side of the room, there are no more interruptions.


This is a view from the entryway into the rest of the room.  You may notice that the windows are bare.  I can't wait to figure out what kind of curtains to put here.  But, I want to wait to put anything up until after the woodwork is painted so I don't have to take it down again.  I think I have an idea for these windows.  I've just got to get busy to pull it together.  I think that the gray walls below are an accurate representation of the color.  We mixed Sherwin Williams Dorian Gray and Mindful Gray.  I love it.  Brett would like it to be a bit darker. 


Here's another view.  Note the painted tiles of the fireplace surround.  Don't they look good?!  I think that's still my favorite part of the whole room.  This shot also shows the rug well.  I stole it from Dominic's room so I need to find something for here so I can return it to him.   Not that he notices ;)


Well, that's it!  Thanks for sticking with me through this long (unfinished) process.  My goal for the near future is to paint the woodwork white, add valances, slipcover the wingback chair, and hopefully purchase a new sofa.  I've seen a few couches I love but I'm not sure if I want leather or upholstery.  Leather is great for kids and dogs, but cloth is more my style.

What do you think about the changes?  I'd love your suggestions for what kind of curtains for the room.  What sofa material do you prefer: leather or upholstery?

Soon I'll be sharing the changes in the dining room... 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a friendly comment or question...

Montrose & Mound. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

© Montrose & Mound, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena