12/20/12

Handmade Christmas Gifts Part 2

I'm back again with my remaining handmade Christmas gifts!  To see Part 1, click here.

4. Salt Scrub

I'm never sure what to get my two step-sisters.  One is just a few months younger than me and the other is a few years younger.  They are both very creative, fun-loving, and adventurous.  They should be easy to shop for, but I never know what to get them.  Martha Stewart came through again.  I followed her directions to make a salt scrub for them and two of my aunts.  This is a super simple gift that is fun and allows the recipient to pamper themselves.  

I picked up the glass jars at Wal Mart, along with the Epsom salt.  I got the lavender essential oil from Michael's and created my own labels on my printer.  To make them more sturdy, I used old business cards between the printed paper.

Initially, I added food coloring per Martha's instructions.  But it just looked funky!  So I dumped it all out and made another batch sans coloring.  I like the natural look.  Plus, I prefer products without dyes.
 

5. Mini Cornhole Set

You may have to be from the midwest to know about this game.  It's a fun backyard game similar to horseshoes.  You toss a bag filled with corn into a board.  The first pair to reach 21 wins.  BTW - that's the simple version!  

Dominic loooves cornhole and can spend hours tossing the bags when we're at my dad's house.  I thought he'd love his own set.  I debated between making a full-size version or a mini one.  True to my style, I made one version that didn't work out and then had to make another.  So in a way, I made both.  Uggh!  I accidentally cut the holes too large in the first version and after trying to make it work, I realized that the boards were super heavy and didn't look all that great anyway.  So I used the scraps and made mini boards.  Much cuter AND they are easier to move inside or outside.  

I stopped at Home Depot's cull wood section and found two identical pieces of 1/2" MDF.  I think they were $2 something each.  I cut them down to my specified length.  (Since these are not competition legal size, I just found a size that visually worked).  I traced a 6" diameter hole (standard size) on each board and cut it out with a jig saw.  I actually surprised myself at how well the circles turned out.  Then, I used scrap 2x4s to make the legs.  Again, I just eyeballed what height looked best and measured from there.  I found it easiest to pre-drill the holes for the leg screws and then screw them in.

I wanted to do a fancy paint job on these and may in the future.  For now, I just spray painted them silver and hand-painted the No.1 and No.2 on each to coordinate with the bags.


Speaking of the bags, I bought some duck cloth from JoAnn's.  The finished bags are supposed to be 6x6" and weigh between 15 and 16oz each.  Even though I drew out and cut straight lines, my bags didn't turn out square.  I don't mind though - it adds character!  When I had them all sewn, except for a small section (to add the corn), I traced a number on each one and painted it.  Once the paint was dry, I added the corn.  Note to self - it would have been much easier if I had a funnel.  

I think these will be a hit!


6. Cornhole Scoreboard and Drink Holder


Even though this project and the one above are for the same game, they are for different people.  My dad and brother and their friends are always playing Cornhole, usually with a beverage or two.  Many times, someone forgets what the score is or has their drink knocked over by a stray bag.  Enter the score board and drink holder!  I was inspired by this woman

I used her project as a jumping off point to make my own.  Again, I used cull wood from Home Depot.  If I were to do it over again, I would purchase boards that were not warped.  It would be so much easier!  

This is really just a 1x2 surrounded by 1x4s at the bottom.  
 

I created a small box (be sure it's big enough to hold the beverage container of your choice) and attached it to the post. 


I painted everything red to match my dad's existing Cornhole set (Go Buckeyes!).  I painted a small piece of plywood in chalkboard paint for the scoreboard.  I attached a hook to the post and then hung the chalkboard from the hook.  To keep the chalk handy, I simply tied it to a piece of twine and attached it to the hook as well.



Even though I didn't really measure when I created this, I did know that I wanted the scoreboard to hide the drink holder.  I just made sure that I attached the drink box low enough and the hook high enough that the board hid the box without interfering with reaching in to get your drink.


This is definitely NOT my most sophisticated project or one that I am particularly proud of.  My workmanship leaves something to be desired.  But, I felt like I overcame obstacle over obstacle and so I am grateful for what I have.  Because it didn't turn out quite as nicely as I had hoped, my dad is getting other gifts now too.  If I ever decide to make one for Dominic, I'm sure it will turn out awesome.

Have you ever had to "redo" any handmade gifts because they didn't turn out as you had thought?  Or are you a planner who maps out every detail before getting started?

Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a friendly comment or question...

Montrose & Mound. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

© Montrose & Mound, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena