12/19/12

Where to begin? Superheros to the rescue!

The title says it all; I have no idea where to begin.  I've been away from the blog for so long and have worked on so many different projects that I don't even know where to start.  I want to share them all, right now!  Because, let's be honest... who knows when I'll be back again!  Even though I am now a full-time stay-at-home-momma, I feel like I've been busier than ever.  Part of that may be that I'm working against deadlines for Christmas and a new baby.  The other part (more likely) is that I've been too tired running after a 2 year old and trying to catch my breath from my baby bump.  I am pleased to say that I've kept to most of my goals from the last post.  Dominic and I are spending quality time together doing fun, simple activities.  I've been exercising (kind of!) and I've been cooking more often.

To get back to the topic, I'll begin with some of my more recent projects since they are Christmas related and then go back in time. 

Disclaimer: my vision of these projects was better than most of the outcomes.  I feel that if I had devoted more focused time and energy and had more appropriate tools/supplies on hand, these would have turned out better.  As it was, I tried using what I already had and fit them in during nap times (when my brain is constantly reminding me of the mile-long to-do list I still need to tackle).

Up first, superhero capes for the kids.  The three youngest in my husband's family are currently all boys - ages 1, 2, and 3.  I prefer toys that are kid-powered are fuel the imagination.  So, superhero capes it was!  I started out with 2 yards of felt.  You can get one cape per 1/2 yard.  Then I created a template.  I cut the one-year-old's a little shorter than the other two so that he wouldn't trip on it.  I also grabbed a few different colors of the felt rectangles for the logo.  I didn't really have a plan of action.  I finally decided that each cape should have the boy's initial rather than a Superman or Batman logo.  They don't know those characters anyway and this makes it more personal.  To make the initial, I found a font I liked on my computer and traced it onto the felt in reverse so that the marker wouldn't show through.  Cut it out and voila, you have an initial!  



They still needed something though, so I added a yellow lightning bolt to each one.  Looks pretty cool, huh?

Next came sewing.  I chose to sew (not sure why since I'm pretty terrible at it!) but you could easily use iron-on tape instead.  I pinned everything together and then began sewing the initials.  I got better as I went along.  Then, I went back over the loose edges of the lightning bolts to secure them.

Once each circle was complete, I pinned it to the cape and began to sew the edges.



To finish it up, I added some Velcro at the neck closure.  For this age group, I recommend hook-and-loop tape rather than ribbon, snaps, or buttons so that they can fasten/ unfasten them on their own.  The sew-on version is stronger than the stick-on kind.  


 

It would be cute to add a small flashlight and knitted gloves in coordinating colors to complete the "superhero" kit.  These would also be cute in more of a satiny fabric.  That requires more (and better) sewing though!

What homemade gifts are you making this year?  Does anyone else find it difficult to make gifts for boys, especially the toddler set?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave a friendly comment or question...

Montrose & Mound. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

© Montrose & Mound, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena